Proven researcher and developer with over 17 years experience and 75 published papers as a
hands-on researcher, architect, manager, and developer in the design and development of Natural
Language Processing, Machine Learning, and Information Retrieval systems for commercial and
government customers. Pioneered new Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning algorithms
to understand everything from how successful a group will be using their discussions to which
occasions drive a consumer’s purchase of product.
Principal Scientist / Language Computer Corporation
2018 - Current
Hands-on Principal Researcher who has led and contributed to multiple government funded
projects (e.g. DARPA, SOCOM, and NAVY).
- Developed a deep learning model to automatically determine and fill relevant
Wikipedia-style infobox elements for entities and events.
- Developed technology to extract relations between individuals discussed in a corpus and
the corresponding polarity (positive, negative, or neutral) of the relation based on the
effect the event has on the participants.
- Developed a deep learning model for determining if a piece of content is biased or not
in its reporting of facts.
Technologies Used: Java, Hadoop, Python, Pandas, Tensorflow, Keras, Apache Spark, Apache Kafka,
Assistant Professor / Colorado Technical University
2018 - 2022
Assistant Professor teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in Computer Science.
Undergraduate Courses Taught:
- CS101 Problem Solving in Computer Science
- CS118 Principles of Programming Languages
- CS219 Python Programming
- CS226 Java Programming
- IT351 Advanced Java Programming
- SWE400 Software Construction
Graduate Courses Taught:
- CS686 Fundamentals of Big Data Analytics
- CS692 Algorithms for Data Science
Data Scientist Team Lead / Grubhub
2017 - 2018
Lead the NLP and taxonomy team to normalize and categorize menu items, dishes, and
restaurants to improve customer experience when searching and discovering restaurants and
cuisines on Grubhub.
Technologies Used: Python, Spark, Spacy, SkLearn, Pandas, Matplotlib, AWS
Data Science Consultant / Oculus360
2017 - 2022
Design new algorithms and research direction for the Data Science team.
Vice President of Technology / Oculus360
2014 - 2017
- Led, designed, and implemented the Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, and
Psycholinguistics algorithms driving Oculus360’s consumer analytic platform, which
provides deep insights about consumers needs, wants, and desires.
- Designed and Developed systems to automatically determine the aspects, or attributes,
associated with a set of products in consumer vernacular, extract occasions in which
individuals use or associate with a product, the emotional state and sensory perceptions
provoked by a product, and the personality and demographics (gender and age) of the
consumers reviewing, tweeting, or posting about a product.
- Developed methods and analyses have led to significant increases in customers’ revenue
due to sales campaigns and improved online product recommendation.
- Managed the development and data science team, which included managing the sprint and
daily standups, mentoring and overseeing junior members, and employee reviews.
Technologies Used: Java, Scala, Python, Spark, Pandas, Tensorflow, Keras, Matplotlib, AWS
Adjunct Faculty / Dallas College
2013 - 2015
- Taught Introduction to Computers covering basic computer knowledge and Microsoft Office.
- Advised students on their degree program and pathways to future careers.
Senior Scientist / Language Computer Corporation
2011 - 2014
- Acted as the Principal Investigator leading a team of ten researchers, engineers, and linguists in the IARPA SCIL program designing and developing novel NLP techniques for sociolinguistic analysis of discourse in English, Chinese, and Arabic.
- Key contributor to numerous government funded projects including the identification and interpretation of metaphor across English, Russian, Farsi, and Spanish.
- Developed methods for the semantic understanding of topics, the induction of conceptual spaces around metaphoric expressions, and the automatic identification of linguistic metaphors.
- Demonstrated the effectiveness of research methodologies at numerous IARPA program level meetings, through monthly reports, and presentations at top Natural Language Processing conferences.
- Researched a method to semi-automatically recognize complex social actions in social media, which was presented to the Office of the Directory of National Intelligence.
Computer Scientist / General Electric Global Research
2008 - 2011
- Developed an automated reporting system to analyze user behavior on the NBC web site. Made suggestions adopted by the NBC team based on automated and manual analyses that lead to significant increases in page views, average visit length, and user retention.
- Led the research and development of a social analytics package used to monitor online discussion around NBC television shows and Universal feature movies. The package included software to track mentions, topics, sentiment, and intent to watch. In addition, I developed a method for the automated analysis and ranking of sites in order to determine: 1) which sites would likely partner for a given tv show or movie; and 2) which sites had the best chance to make a video go viral.
- Lead architect and researcher for WISDOM (Web Information Spread Data Operations Module), which became LM (Lockheed Martin) WISDOM. Major areas of research included natural language processing, text mining, information retrieval, blog analysis, social network analysis, web mining, web analytics, and machine learning.
Lead Researcher / AIA International Advanced Information Institute
2006 - 2007
- Lead researcher on a project to build a fully automated system for the reporting and analysis of news in Asia to aid in decision making and provide early warning for disasters.
- Project was based on my Ph.D. thesis and included modules for keyword extraction and tracking, sentiment analysis, knowledge graph construction, and automated summarization.
Prior to 2006
- Software Engineer at The University of Central Florida (2004-2006)
- Graduate Research Assistant on NASA funded project in NLP at The University of Central Florida (2003-2004)
- Independent software engineering consultant. (2000-2007)
University of Tokushima
2005 - 2007
Doctor of Philosophy, Information Science and System Engineering
The University of Central Florida
2003 - 2004
Master of Science, Computer Science
The University of Central Florida
2000 - 2002
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science